Tuesday, October 29, 2013

History in the Making


This post is a little random, but it is something I want to remember forever
and that is what this blog is about right?
Remembering life events, moments in time and
being honest about my feelings in those moments and the way it has changed me.

A little over 12 years ago,
 our lives had changes more than we ever could have imagined.
Living only 15 minutes away, and being able to see that beautiful NYC Skyline
from my bedroom window is a privilege and something we often take for granted.
Let’s be honest, when something seems so natural,
normal and everyday to us, we forget to just sit back, breath and
actually appreciate the beautiful things around us and be thankful
 for what we are able to be a part of.
On September 11, 2001 that beautiful view I peaked at
every time I walked out my front door would never ever be the same.

It has been 12 years and A LOT has happened within those
 12 years and yet some things just seem like they are taking forever to progress.
Many people around the country and the world,
that don’t have the opportunity to walk through
New York City everyday or even once a month aren’t
reminded of the progress this great city is still making.
We have come a long way no doubt about it,
we have climbed up a mighty tall mountain and
have reached goals and came back stronger than ever,
but there is still much that needs to be done.

I have the pleasure of working right across the street from ground zero.
My train stops right underneath the construction zone that continues on,
underneath the new fountains that have been
placed in memory of those lost and underneath the gorgeous new buildings
that are being built to continue this ongoing
renovation of Lower Manhattan.

This leads me to the amazement that I can say
I am living through another historical moment in time.
When we were younger we heard of historical events
and read about past presidents, wars and monumental times
and these lessons and events are carrying on to our children and children to come.
It also amazes me that 9/11 is actually
in history books and taught to children that were not yet a blessing
on this earth and now look at this change in history as we once looked at our history books.  

I have lived through that infinite day in United States history and as much as this place has worked its butt off to recover and rebuild there are still things that need to be done.

On October 24, 2013 I had the pleasure of being one of the first people
to experience a milestone accomplishment here in
Lower Manhattan at the World Trade Center
as the underground walkway tunnel that connects
the train to the building I work in was completed and opened to the public.
I will never forget the feeling of pride I had
for the hard working men and women
that I see and hear every day as I walked past had built something
so extraordinary
and truly a piece of history to come.
I’ll never forget how bright, clean and fresh it felt.
The way the architecture was developed like something
I had never seen before,
and surely never expected.

This underground walkway will eventually connect office buildings
that lie on the Hudson River to the World Trade Center
as well as 13 Subway trains and trains to New Jersey.
Like I said,
when things become a routine, normal, everyday occurrences
we often take advantage and never really stop to think about
 all the little things going on around us.
I am guilty of that and this moment has reminded me to stop,
look around and appreciate what’s around.
Appreciate the opportunities and the experiences
we are given every single day.  
I am a part of history.
I can tell my children and their children that I was here on the first day,
I was honored to be the first one
 to walk those halls and I will always appreciate
the magnificent things of life.






No comments:

Post a Comment