Friday, December 20, 2013
only just started to enjoy the season and it has already passed in a blink of an eye! Yeesh life slow
and my mom were supposed to join us in the city but he was unable to get off work on Saturday. Poor
guy can't even catch a break on his big day. We are going to all meet for dinner back in Jersey to
celebrate him! As much as he drives me crazy and I hate to admit how much alike we are, I love him
dearly and I wish him the happiest day ever!
and this panics me more than anything. It is a pain in the big ol' booty to make reservations or find
some place to still get into the closer it gets to the big celebration and I am getting pretty nervous we
have no figured this out yet! Hopefully this weekend we can make some serious plans and I cannot
stress 7 days a week!! o_o
not the worst year but not my favorite year. I am SOO looking forward to 2014 and seeing all that life
has to bring! BRING IT ON!!
Thursday, December 19, 2013
Tuesday, December 17, 2013
Monday, December 16, 2013
Friday, December 13, 2013
Thursday, December 12, 2013
I had never been a big yoga person. Actually, I never participated in anything yoga-ish in my life, until I was introduced to "hot yoga" or Bikram Yoga last summer. I think the idea of just stretching, breathing and meditating just never described "workout" to me. I always thought of a good workout as running a few miles, weight lifting for an hour and sweating your ass off till you puke! Well, let me tell you how WRONG I was. I attended a class with a friend just to keep her company, because she obviously dragged me. It was the dead heat of summer, July, and it was already HOT out. The last thing I wanted to do after an 8 1/2 hour day of work was get dressed to sweat in a room full of people at 105 degrees. But like a trooper I put on my yoga pants, which have never been to yoga before, and went.
Let.me.tell.you. Wooffff! It was probably one of the most challenging workouts I have ever participated in. I was hot, sweaty, my heart was pounding like nobody's business and when I walked out of there, I knew my muscles would be feeling it in the morning.
I can honestly say, I really liked it - loved it. Yes it was hot, but not the hot you might imagine it would be. Like I said, they crank up the heat to about 105 degrees and about 40% humidity but it is more of a dry heat rather than sitting in the scorching sun. A lot of people are intimidated by hot yoga, same as I was, so I figured I would explain some of the things people don't really know about it and why hot yoga is oh so good for you!
What you don't know...
1. It's hot, but not the kind of hot you would imagine. It is definitely tolerable and you sweat your butt off. Who doesn't feel good after a nice sweat!
2. If you do feel like it is too hot for you, you can always lay down and just breathe. Instructors actually encourage you to stay in the room the entire time so you don't shock your body by going from extreme heat to the outside. You can do it!
3. Ice water is great to have. I bring in one bottle of ice water into the studio and I don't even drink half of it while I'm in there. The instructor gives you a few breaks, but of course you can take them at anytime. The best time to drink water is all day long before class, and the next day.
4. You burn the same amount of calories as you would after a good jog. Enough said.
5. You don't need to be the most flexible or advanced yogi to participate. All classes range from beginner to advanced, it's all about making sure you do what's best for your body.
Why Bikram is good for you...
1. Your body is using muscles and stretching like other workout's can't do. I have noticed my body sore in different places I didn't even know I was working on. You are increasing your flexibility which will also reduce your risk for injury during other physical activities.
2. Yoga is good for your digestive system, cardiovascular improvements, respiratory efficiency, improve posture, strength, energy levels, immunity, balance and functioning of all body parts.
3. Believe it or not, it is relaxing. It will help relieve stress and tension and help you focus on the movements in the moment rather than any other distractions going on in your busy life.
4. Sleep habits increase. I have noticed that when I practice hot yoga, I am much more relaxed and sleep so much better at night. I always had a hard time falling asleep and then I would wake up once of twice in the middle of the night. Now I fall asleep easily and I don't wake until my alarm goes off...sometimes after.
5. Yoga improves your immune system, especially in the winter. When you are sweating, you are detoxing your body of all the toxins, germs and bad things that have entered your system. In the winter everyone is always sick or has some sort of cold floating around. Or when we walk outside in the cold we are so quick to hug our arms around our chest and hunch our shoulders to try and keep the warmth in. While practicing hot yoga you have the opportunity to open your chest, relax your shoulders and improve your posture. You are ridding your body of the toxins and keeping yourself healthy.
I hope this helps with some confusion about hot yoga being good, bad, hard, impossible. This all all based on my opinion and things I have learned while practicing. Please note I am no expert, I'm not advanced and have not been practicing for a long period of time, but I truly believe I have improved myself and my well being.
Wednesday, December 11, 2013
Tuesday, December 10, 2013
Friday, December 6, 2013
one :: Now that Thanksgiving is ovaaa...bring on Christmas everything!!! I am in love with peppermint lattes, red bows; gold accents the smell of pine trees! Swooning over Christmas NO.JOKE. As they say, it's the most wonderful time of the year!!
two :: Tonight is my high school football teams State Championship Game at Giant Stadium! I had the great pleasure of taking a half day at work so I can head over to the stadium early and
three :: Thanks to online shopping and all the sales that occurred last weekend I am pretty much DONE with my Christmas shopping! Hoooraaayyy! I still have a few tiny things to pick up but the bulk is done and I so happy I didn't have to fight the good fight at the busy malls. I am also making a few presents so stay tuned for that!
four :: Have I ever mentioned how much I LOVE hot yoga! I used to go like twice a week last year but like all great workouts I started slacking and then life got the best of me. I have started back up after my absurd eating habits on t-day and I cannot understand how I ever stopped! It is relaxing yet challenging and my heart beats like I just sprinted away from a serial killer but I truly love it. When I first walk into the studio I am so glad I made it there and I feel even better when I walk out. If you have any studios near your I highly suggest you check it out.
five :: This weekend, for the first year ever, we are skipping the line a Lowe's and heading out to the west and cutting down our own Christmas Tree this year! Growing up, my parents always took us down the highway to whatever tree lot looked the best and we picked out our tree then. Once me and the little brother moved out and went off to college my parents figured it would just be easier to have a fake one. Wrong. Oh were they wrong, we were devastated when they got a fake tree but for the last several years a fake one has appears every year since. So for the boys humble abode we are cutting down fresh and I can't wait to add it to our list of holiday traditions. If I actually can stand the cold. I can almost guarantee he will pull a Clark Griswold and my eyes will freeze open!
Wednesday, December 4, 2013
Tuesday, December 3, 2013
Monday, December 2, 2013
After eating leftover for the last 4 days, and turkey salad wrap for lunch today I am officially over turkey. I will take the sides all day long, but turkey I bid you farewell. I can’t wait to have a nice piece of steak for dinner tonight!
Every year, the biggest party night of the year, we all head out to the bars to drink spend time with friends and see old friends we haven't seen all year, or in years. We originally planned on staying just for a few hours and then heading home early so we could wake up and run into the city to watch the Macy's Parade Live! Please read below for outcome.
This year after everyone left, my cousin and aunt stayed behind for an extra glass of wine and some girl time. We decided to have a throwback game of Spit. Has anyone ever played this when you were yonger? We always used to play, and my cousin would always beat me! Not this time! I have finally won a game of Spit and it has never felt so good!