Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Super Bowl XLVIII


Oookkayyy! Like I said last week life has been crazy busy so my next few posts are just going to be life updates, recaps and lots of excitement. Not too exciting for an outside however, this is also a little memory page for me to look back on and relive the craziness I endured.

 

So first things first, probably the most exciting is Super Bowl XLVIII! Talk about an interesting turn of events. Being from NJ/NY I am a NY Giants fan, so my interest in this game was no 100%. I wasn’t really rooting for one specific team this year but I did have a little bit more of me hoping the Seahawks won. My Uncle’s favorite team is the Broncos and EVERYONE and their grandmother’s sister was rooting for the Broncos around here. Basically because of Peyton Manning being some all American great guy. Since I like to play with fire and I wasn’t particularly a fan of either team, I went with the underdog to be the instigator during the game. PLUS those Seahawk fans are NO JOKE! They truly invaded NY and NJ and actually took over bars around that stadium and everything! And they look like they have the best fun! I love team spirit and the 12th man has more spirit and anything I have seen. So I hope I don’t offend any true hawks fans but I decided I was an honorary fan for the day!






As I mentioned here the city, my commute, basically everything was plastered with Super Bowl anything and people galore! Even my train station had Super Bowl volunteers posted up to help any visitors with their traveling questions. It was nuts! As exciting as it was for NY/NJ to host the Super Bowl for the first time, I am pretty happy it’s all over and life can go back to its normal craziness…not the crazy craziness we have been experiencing. Anyway…last week NY had turned one of the most important streets into “Super Bowl Boulevard”. From 47th street, in Times Square all the way down to 33rd Street in Herald Square, Broadway was shut down and tents, games and sponsors were set up to entertain all that showed up. And let me tell you THEY showed up.



Apparently the guy behind me didn't find this as funny as I did.



Since I worked all week and I work on the completely opposite end of the island, I did not get the chance to witness the Boulevard during the week….when I should have. We ended up taking the train in for a quick trip on Saturday and it was MOBBED! We literally could not walk more than a block in 20 minutes! I can walk like 20 blocks in 20 minutes on a normal day! Nuts-o! So we made the best of it and shuffled on down the street to see all that they had to offer. Please note that the weather was supposed to be like 19 degrees and miraculously we were blessed with 45 degrees instead. Another reason for the massive swarms’ of people.



 


To make things more convenient, we decided to park in Hoboken, right across the Hudson River, and take the train in. On our way back home we stopped at this little display which was a sight to see. It was muddy from the melted snow and starting to get cold again but that didn’t stop us, and the rest of tri-state from walking up and admiring. We were also able to catch the Empire State Building putting on a light show which was pretty cool too. I attempted to video tape it on my phone but that never seems to turn out as great as you imagine it, so I’ll spare you the blurry flickers of light. BUT you can see a better video here.
 
Finally, the big day came! I was actually pretty excited to watch two great teams play and see the outcome. I don’t know if it was because the game was right in my front yard, or because I actually liked the teams playing, or what else but I was pretty excited to watch! Plus Bruno Mars was supposed to be putting on this spectacular halftime show and the commercials were supposed to be even better. But I have to say I was not all that impressed with the game, the halftime show or the commercials. BLEHH. I’m happy by honorary team won!! Woohoo GO HAWKS! But it was a total shut out. No excitement, no cliffhangers, no nail biting field goals, or 4th down pressure moments. It was just a complete win. The Broncos just weren’t in it to win it and it made the game boring! The commercials were okay, some were pretty great but for the hype they give the commercials I was expecting them to be A LOT better. Not impressed. Sue me? And Bruno has done the same exact performance for the last…1837 shows he has performed. The classic suit, trumpet players and that bouncy kick dance. Don’t get me wrong I love Bruno! I like all of his songs I think he is a great performer but again, the show was just bleh. Nothing spectacular or made your draw drop. Maybe I am still on my halftime high from last year’s Beyonce performance? Maybe? I don’t know I just feel like Super Bowl is such a HUGE deal it should be…spectacular?



Aside from the Debbie Downer paragraph up there, we had beer, steak sandwiches and great picky food! Since I live SO close to the stadium and we knew that the Seahawks had it in the bag…43-8..no chance to turn it around with 5 minutes left in the game…we decided to drive down a few blocks away from my house and take pictures of the fireworks at the end of the game. With the city in the background a clear view of the stadium and fireworks, my favorite thing ever, it was a picture perfect moment!  

Congrats to the Seahawks and the 12th man! You guys truly deserved that win!
 
Had to acknowledge this beautious-ness.
 

3 comments:

  1. This is so cool! Wow. Thanks for sharing your pictures. Can't believe you saw those fireworks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH. your blog is so fab but this is unbelievable! im really jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHOA!!!!! HOW badass... you were front and center to the action. This is so awesome.

    PS: I am Gaints fan too!!!!

    ReplyDelete