Monday, February 17, 2014

Bridal Shower!

 
Last Sunday I had the honor of celebrating one of my dearest friend’s bridal shower! It was such a special day for her, and I was so happy to be a part of her special day. Funny story about the gift though…you will quickly learn there is always a funny, awkward, glitch in the story with anything I do. Just my lovely life, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Makes for a good…story I guess!

Stolen from Kate via Facebook :)

So the bride and groom were registered at Macys and Bed Bath and Beyond which I love, and is also pretty useless information for this story. Anyway, I go on the registry about 2 weeks before the shower to scope it out and see what I wanted to purchase and bring with me. I found what I wanted, proceeded to check out as any normal person and was quickly reminded of the option to have the gift(s) delivered to the bride for better accommodations. In my mind “perfect idea!”. In reality, not so much. I proceed to checkout, fill in all the required information and breathe a sigh of relief. That is done, check it off this to-do list.
Well…sadly this was not the “perfect idea” Courtney because I totally forgot that the shower was A SURPRISE and the bride had absolutely no idea the shower was coming. When she would have received my gift in the mail from her registry it would have been quite the spoiler alert receiving a gift off her registry in the middle of February for absolutely no reason when the wedding isn’t until April. Smooth Courtney…reeeaallllll smooth!
I had a major minor heart attack and panicked that the gift was going to get to her before the shower and I would been the big jerk to ruin the surprise that her mother and sister have been planning for months! So in the middle of my panic attack I called Macys as I’m pacing the kitchen, phone in sweaty hands and breathing like I ran from the cops after a high school house party. I explained the situation to the sweetest women ever, who also laughed at my stupidity, and told me I couldn’t switch the address for delivery, but had to cancel the order completely and re-order my gifts using my shipping address.
Oh you thought that was the end of the funny story, no. So I say “Oh, okay that’s fine”, but it wasn’t because now if I have it delivered to my house with my new order it wouldn’t get to me before the shower without spending $20 on shipping. Sorry Macys I refuse to spend such useless money. Now, it was either have it delivered to my house late and that was even more stupid than my first stupid idea (see above). I thought to myself, oh this is great! Now that the gift will not be delivered before the shower I can then go ahead and have it delivered right to the bride, no problems, no spoiler alerts. Now this is PERFECT!
At the shower I give Kate my card and explain the gift would be delivered to her house. No hassle and one less box to stuff in the car and lug home, and trust me, this lucky lady was so fortunate to have so many beautiful gifts, she didn’t miss having my boxes to load up. And I think to myself you are such a smarty pants! Good job! Fast forward two days after the shower and my friend texts me to make sure I had it delivered to her house because her mom brought all of the delivered gifts to the shower for her to open in front of the guests who purchased them. I now check the tracking number while I’m sitting in work, in NYC, nowhere near home, and see that only ONE PART of my gift was delivered….to my house! Really Macys really?
To say I was mortified, embarrassed and felt like a total jerk was an understatement. Yes, she is a very good friend of mine and her fiancé is Luke’s best friend, but still. I was mortified, embarrassed and felt like a total jerk.
Long story longer the pretty little bride finally received my gifts and her sweet little self had no problem with the tardiness. AND a few other guests had issues sending gifts to her house also! SO it turned out it wasn’t 100% my fault which made me feel a little better, but really Macys? Really? So much for convenience “ship to the bride and groom” shipping.
In the end, it was a beautiful shower, she was absolutely surprised and had the best day of her life…for now. Congrats to my favorite couple, Kate and Chris!
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Oh goodness, this is exactly the type of thing that would happen to me! Oh well though, it's the thought that counts and I'm so glad that she had a lovely shower. :-)

    ReplyDelete