Thursday, April 10, 2014

DIY: Gel Polish Manicure

I am your typical girly girl and I LOVE being pampered. Who doesn't? However I have a love/hate relationship with getting my nails done. I love the whole being pampered part, the massage when your drying, the moisturizing of the hands, clean cuticles. I love it all. Except for the price ... and the time it takes to sit in that chair ... and the price. Don't get me wrong it cost me $25 + tip for a shellac gel manicure. I thought this was great deal! Nail salons around me were way more expensive than that so I thought this was great. On top of that they lasted me THREE WEEKS! I didn't have to worry about chipping, which is important since I type on a computer all day and normal polish would only last a few days before chipping. So 3 weeks, $25 and a clean salon that I loved the woman who did them. I was on top of the pampered nails world.

Then my world kind of crashed for a moment when Emily posted about her DIY Gel Manicure and I was in awe! Complete awe at how easy she made it look at how inexpensive the material were. My biggest issue with doing my own nails from home was the waiting for it to try part. No matter how long I waited and didn't touch a thing, I still managed to always scratch or smudge at least one nail. That is also the reason I fell in love with the shellac gel. It drys in like 90 seconds and  you are done! Walk out touching everything like a kid in a toy store! Anyway, so right before Christmas my brother had asked me what I wanted and for once in my life I knew exactly what to ask for!

So I received a whole entire nail kit for Christmas. I had never been more excited to do my own nails! When he ordered the kit I, obviously, helped him find exactly what to purchase and I got to pick a few colors to get me started. I didn't want too many colors, in case I hated the way I did them. It took me about 3 times to get it PERFECT and I must say I am quite proud of myself and happy with the result. Here is my little DIY tutorial for a Gel Polish Manicure! P.S. Did I mention I will be saving about $700 by doing my own nails! Take that in for a moment :)


Step One:
If you already have on a gel polish you need to remove it! First, lightly file the tops of your nail so the color is now roughed up. Then soak in nail polish remover. I used this one here.


Step Two:
While nails are soaking, scrap off polish with finger nails as it becomes soft. This should be very easy. If the polish is not scraping off easily then you need to soak longer.

Step Three:
Once polish is removed, cut and file nails to desired length. I like my a little shorter. Also, file the entire nail bed. This will help remove and excess polish that didn't scrape off (clear is always left behind) and helps to smooth out the surface of the nail. I use a rough file that I picked up at Harmon for like $1. After filing your nails should look like this.


At this point, you want to keep the nails as clean as possible. If any oils get on the nails, the polish will not sit as nicely so try not to touch anything with that hand starting.. now!

Step Four:
Next, I apply the pH Bond which comes in your nail kit here.  This will dehydrate the nail of any remaining oils or moisture. You want the nail as clean and dry as possible. This dries instantly and you won't even realize you put any on - but you must!


Step Five:
Apply Foundation coat. Here you need to be very careful. Don't apply too much, but don't apply too little. Also make sure you do not allow any clear to run into the cuticle because that will cause the polish to peel off easily, and we want these babies to stay for 3 weeks! Once you apply one coat you can stick in the UV nail dryer for 90 seconds.



Step Six:
After the light turns off you are ready for your first coat of color! Apply the same way you did the foundation - carefully and with a thin layer. Hint: more thin layers is better than one thick layer. Let it sit under the light and repeat for a second coat. You should only need two coats. Then bake!



Step Seven:
Once you apply two coats of your color, apply the Top coat. Here you don't need to be as careful. I wouldn't just glob on the clear top coat, but you can put a generous amount just watch the cuticles! The you can stick in the UV nail dryer again. I usually do the top coat a little longer, like 240 seconds just to be sure it dries.



Step Eight:
Now everything is nice and dry we need to brighten up those cuticles! I use the 'Nourish' and brush it around my cuticles on each nail. Then, I take a small piece of a paper towel with a little nail polish remover and quickly rub the oil off the tops of my nails. Wash your hands with soap and water and smile a big smile at your new found talent! 



 
And that's pretty much all there is to it! It actually seems like a lot now that I am typing it all out here, but if you really give it a try it doesn't take much time at all. Instead of sitting in the salon for an hour or more, I can get this finished in about 30 minutes..even on a Friday before I go out for the night!! If anyone has any questions please let me know! Or if you have any tips or tricks I'm all about that too!!  

 
However, this little lady thinks doing your nails is a tiring job...don't you agree?







1 comment:

  1. How much did the entire kit cost? Or did I miss that part? I want a kit really badly. My girlfriend has one so I have used hers a few times. I ALWAYS smudge my nails using regular polish and starts chipping two days later if I'm lucky and staying away from warm dish water.

    ReplyDelete