Thursday, December 12, 2013

Bikram Yoga


I had never been a big yoga person. Actually, I never participated in anything yoga-ish in my life, until I was introduced to "hot yoga" or Bikram Yoga last summer. I think the idea of just stretching, breathing and meditating just never described "workout" to me. I always thought of a good workout as running a few miles, weight lifting for an hour and sweating your ass off till you puke! Well, let me tell you how WRONG I was. I attended a class with a friend just to keep her company, because she obviously dragged me. It was the dead heat of summer, July, and it was already HOT out. The last thing I wanted to do after an 8 1/2 hour day of work was get dressed to sweat in a room full of people at 105 degrees. But like a trooper I put on my yoga pants, which have never been to yoga before, and went.

Let.me.tell.you. Wooffff! It was probably one of the most challenging workouts I have ever participated in. I was hot, sweaty, my heart was pounding like nobody's business and when I walked out of there, I knew my muscles would be feeling it in the morning.

I can honestly say, I really liked it - loved it. Yes it was hot, but not the hot you might imagine it would be. Like I said, they crank up the heat to about 105 degrees and about 40% humidity but it is more of a dry heat rather than sitting in the scorching sun. A lot of people are intimidated by hot yoga, same as I was, so I figured I would explain some of the things people don't really know about it and why hot yoga is oh so good for you!



What you don't know...

1. It's hot, but not the kind of hot you would imagine. It is definitely tolerable and you sweat your butt off. Who doesn't feel good after a nice sweat!

2. If you do feel like it is too hot for you, you can always lay down and just breathe. Instructors actually encourage you to stay in the room the entire time so you don't shock your body by going from extreme heat to the outside. You can do it!

3. Ice water is great to have. I bring in one bottle of ice water into the studio and I don't even drink half of it while I'm in there. The instructor gives you a few breaks, but of course you can take them at anytime. The best time to drink water is all day long before class, and the next day.

4. You burn the same amount of calories as you would after a good jog. Enough said.

5. You don't need to be the most flexible or advanced yogi to participate. All classes range from beginner to advanced, it's all about making sure you do what's best for your body.


Why Bikram is good for you...

1. Your body is using muscles and stretching like other workout's can't do. I have noticed my body sore in different places I didn't even know I was working on. You are increasing your flexibility which will also reduce your risk for injury during other physical activities.

2. Yoga is good for your digestive system, cardiovascular improvements, respiratory efficiency, improve posture, strength, energy levels, immunity, balance and functioning of all body parts.

3. Believe it or not, it is relaxing. It will help relieve stress and tension and help you focus on the movements in the moment rather than any other distractions going on in your busy life.

4. Sleep habits increase. I have noticed that when I practice hot yoga, I am much more relaxed and sleep so much better at night. I always had a hard time falling asleep and then I would wake up once of twice in the middle of the night. Now I fall asleep easily and I don't wake until my alarm goes off...sometimes after.

5. Yoga improves your immune system, especially in the winter. When you are sweating, you are detoxing your body of all the toxins, germs and bad things that have entered your system. In the winter everyone is always sick or has some sort of cold floating around. Or when we walk outside in the cold we are so quick to hug our arms around our chest and hunch our shoulders to try and keep the warmth in. While practicing hot yoga you have the opportunity to open your chest, relax your shoulders and improve your posture. You are ridding your body of the toxins and keeping yourself healthy.


I hope this helps with some confusion about hot yoga being good, bad, hard, impossible. This all all based on my opinion and things I have learned while practicing. Please note I am no expert, I'm not advanced and have not been practicing for a long period of time, but I truly believe I have improved myself and my well being.

No comments:

Post a Comment