Tuesday, September 23, 2014

MS: Multiple Sclerosis


It was important to me to break down my weekend in two. For those who don't know, Multiple Sclerosis or MS is one of the most common diseases that affects about 2.3 million people worldwide. Defined - Multiple sclerosis (MS) involves an immune-mediated process in which an abnormal response of the body’s immune system is directed against the central nervous system (CNS), which is made up of the brain, spinal cord and optic nerves (source). It is not a contagious disease, or an inherited disease but like many others that affect our world there is still no cure.
On Sunday the boy and I decided to volunteer to help support MS during their Bike MS Country Challege! It was so amazing to see so many riders, so much money raised and so many supporters to help raise money for a cure! Photography was his thing and I awarded medals and checked in as riders finished their challenge. Seeing how many people from so many different walks of life complete this challenge was so empowering. It truly makes you see the good in people. I was even inspired to start training for the Bike MS Challenge in the Spring! It is on my bucket list and being a part of this event just gave me the motivation I needed to get it on! 
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society is such an amazing group. As I mentioned there is no cure for this disease and it affects so many people in our world today. If you are able please make any donations here to Multiple Sclerosis to help find a cure!


1 comment: